Post-Operative Instructions for Bone Grafting
Your bone grafting procedure requires special care to insure proper healing without infection. The following instructions will help you achieve this goal.
- Take antibiotics as prescribed until gone. If you develop a rash, hives, itching, or difficulty breathing, discontinue medication and call our office right away.
- Beginning the day after your procedure, use warm salt-water rinses using “head rolls”. Hold the salt-water solution in your mouth and roll your head back and forth. Do not swish or blow your cheeks out. The sutures and tissues are fragile and excessive forces may open the wound.
- Beginning the day after your procedure, use your Peridex (or PerioGard) mouth rinse. “Swab” the incision line with Peridex mouth rinse on a Q-tip or cotton swab three times a day for 14 days. If Peridex is used for rinsing for long periods of time it can cause staining of your teeth. These stains can be easily removed at your next hygiene appointment at your Dentist’s office.
- The sutures that are used are resorbable or dissolvable. These will come out on their own in approximately twenty-one days. DO NOT attempt to remove the sutures yourself.
- It is normal for the membrane to be slightly visible.
Call us if you have any questions or concerns: Santa Cruz Oral Surgery Office Phone Number 831-475-0221